Alderney, 11 October 2023: Alderney Chamber of Commerce has launched “ALDERNEY IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS”, a campaign intended to help boost the island’s economy by attracting new business ventures and professionals to the island who will complement, rather than compete with, Alderney’s established business community.
Prior to launching this campaign, Chamber undertook a survey among members (now numbering over 160 businesses on the island), and Alderney Residents via the social media.
Over 130 ideas were received – although many of them were overlapping and some suggestions could not be considered as realistic business or career opportunities.
Chamber’s Council has been in regular contact with the States of Alderney’s Economic Development Committee to brief them on the outcome of this survey.
Shortcomings identified as business/career opportunities, include:
- Men’s Clothing
- Children’s Clothing
- Dedicated Bakery open to public
- Delicatessen & Health Food
- Bookshop & Newspapers
- Laundry & Dry-Cleaning (for both individuals and the accommodation sector)
- Shoe repair (could be part of Laundry/Dry-Cleaning services)
- Business Opportunity: PHARMACY: Alderney’s only and well-established BOARDMAN’S PHARMACY is for sale. (For details please contact Christie & Co email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Chinese Restaurant/Takeaway
- Micro/Craft Brewery
- Business Opportunity: POPULAR LOCAL PUB & RESTAURANT Well-established popular pub THE CAMPANIA is for sale. (For details, please contact Bell & Co)
- Cash handling/providing services for businesses
- Lawyer/solicitor (Legal Provision/representation on the Island)
4. IT SECTOR
- IT services & support for businesses and individuals, including website design, Broadband as well as computer equipment & accessories
- Internet Café for business users
- Car body repair & vehicle parts
- Island Bus Service
BUILDING SECTOR & RELATED SERVICES
- Plant/Equipment Hire
- Domestic Solar Panel business
CAREER/BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH SPECIAL SKILLS:
- Gas Engineer
In order to reach target audiences across the Channel Islands and the UK, the next step of the “ALDERNEY IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS” campaign will be to promote and publicise these business and career opportunities, sector by sector, on the Alderney Chamber of Commerce website which is linked to the States of Alderney’s and Guernsey Chamber of Commerce’s websites, and to include social media (Facebook, Linked-In and Instagram) as well as business correspondents of the Channel Islands media.
And, to help new business ventures off the ground and simplify the process of setting up their operations, Chamber has gone a step further by producing a practical guide “GUIDE TO SETTING UP A BUSINESS IN ALDERNEY” which is now published on our website www.alderneychamber.com
Chamber’s President Andrew Eggleston commented:
“One of Chamber’s main aims is to attract further business to Alderney whether as a relocation or as a start-up. We are also looking at companies using Alderney as an ideal place for back office work especially from Guernsey businesses. Alderney’s average salaries are lower and commercial rents are significantly lower With our islands being within the same Bailiwick, we see this as a positive and serious opportunity.
While we already enjoy a plethora of differing businesses coupled with a successful financial sector, we are always looking to expand. Our recently published ’10 Steps to Setting Up a Business in Alderney’ is now linked into the States of Alderney website and offers comprehensive yet simplistic advice as to how to set up a business on Alderney.
While we enjoy far more affordable housing without purchasing restrictions yet having the fiscal benefits of the other Channel Islands, Alderney is certainly becoming a more talked about possibility for business.”